Hey Tint Fam, today’s blog post is from Team LT’s Mesha, who is talking all about her current skin care routine! Keep reading to find out what she has to say… trust us, you wanna hear what she has to say.
I grew up with cystic acne as a teenager (I still get the occasional bugger every now and then) and to say that it took a toll on my self-esteem, would be an understatement. I tried every product and hack out there to balance out my skin but luckily with time my skin settled down. Regardless, I’ve learned to tread carefully with what I put on my face, since my skin is extremely sensitive and often jumps from oily to dry depending on whether or not I’ve religiously followed my skincare routine that day.
Slowly but surely, I’ve acquired a collection of products that I know I can always go back to, and today I’m here to share them with all you skincare junkies out there.
- CLEANSER: man oh man, if I skip a day on this, all hell breaks loose. This is a must for me, day and night, since I have temperamental skin. As someone who is acne prone, I used to go for cleansers with acne treatments like salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide in them, but the chemicals stripped my skin of all the natural oils that help keep my face soft and supple.
Nowadays I like to stick to cleansers that are gentle on skin and leave my skin feeling like it’s hit the restart button. I’m currently using the Tula Cult Classic Purifying Face Cleanser. The name says it all. If you’re looking for a more affordable option, I also love the Honest Beauty Gel to Milk Cleanser.
- EXFOLIATOR: since I have quite a few acne scars, this is also a key component to my skincare routine. Again, I like to go with something gentle since it’s easy to rock the balance. I’m a big fan of the Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant. While I don’t exfoliate every day, I do reach for this 3-4 times a week, specifically in the evenings when I shower. The rice powder to paste formula polishes without being aggressive on the skin and helps rid of any dry skin or flakiness.
- TONER: You have to be careful with this one. Some toners can be SUPER intense, leaving your skin way too dry and tight. If you have combination skin, I highly recommend a toner that isn’t alcohol based. The Dr. Jart Moisturizing Toner is a great one (and it’s currently on sale!)
- EYE CREAM: Like my mother says, you’re never too young for this step. I spend so much time tending to the rest of my face that sometimes I forget that my eyes need moisture too, especially when dealing with those dark circles (but thank god for the Huestick amirite?). Right now, I’m really into the Mario Badescu Hyaluronic Eye Cream. It’s on the more affordable side and gets the job done without being greasy or heavy.
- MOISTURIZER: This is quite literally the frosting on top and I LOVE switching up what I use on my face. For moisturizers, the Honest Beauty Hydrogel Cream is my go-to. It is beyond hydrating and leaves a glowy finish on the skin. My splurge moisturizer is of course no other than Summer Friday’s Jet Lag Mask. Y’all -- the hype is real with this one, and it’s safe for the eyes so it takes a step out of the routine.
Lastly, when I really want to treat myself, I reach for the Drunk Elephant Luxury Face Oil. I was always opposed to oils because I have oily skin, so I didn’t really understand why I would add more to my face, but this not only keeps my skin moisturized, it's also filled with tons of antioxidants that help repair my skin overnight.
And that’s all I got for you today! I’m still on the hunt for a Vitamin C that helps lighten acne scars and give a brighter appearance so holler at me in the comments below if you have a recommendation. I would love to hear from you.
‘Til next time --